Monday, February 4, 2013

Running For a Cause

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, books by marathoners and ultra-marathoners like Hal Higdon, Dean Karnazes, and Bart Yasso.  Some of what I've read deals with training advice such as how many miles to run each week, hill training, speed work, technical stuff like that.  Karnazes's books are mostly stories about his epic adventures -- running a 135-mile ultra-marathon in Death Valley, a marathon at the South Pole, and the unbelievable quest of running fifty marathons in fifty days . . . one in every state.

But the most significant idea I came across was the idea of dedicating events to worthwhile causes, including how to set up websites to designate charities and request donations.

I think you see where I'm going with this.

Matthew
Matthew is a high school student with epilepsy.  I've known him since he was in kindergarten, as his father is a good friend and colleague of mine.  Matthew's a great kid, with courage and determination that help him fight through his seizures and other challenges.  I've dedicated the San Diego Half Marathon to Matthew, and designated the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Los Angeles as the specific charity.  If you'd like to donate even a small amount to Miles for Matthew, please go here.

Sam and me.
I'll be dedicating the Orange County Marathon to Sam.  I've worked with kids for going on twenty years, and it's safe to say that my buddy Sammy is one of my absolute favorites.  He's funny, compassionate, and is also a pretty darn good athlete.  And we share a common interest . . . music.  From time to time we'll engage in jazz duets with me on trumpet and Sam on air-trumpet.  If you'd like to contribute to Strides for Sam and the Down Syndrome Association of Orange County, please go here.

I don't often use my blog for solicitation, and it certainly won't become a habit, but I believe these are very worthwhile charities.  If you can kick in even five bucks, it will make a difference.

Matthew, Sam, and I thank you very much!



Recent Runs:
1/29/13:  5.07 miles, 50:43
1/30/13:  8.20 miles, 1:31:21
1/31/13:  3.1 miles (5K), 25:09 (PR)
2/1/13:  3.1 miles (5K), 32:20
2/3/13:  26.2 miles (Marathon), 4:46:57 (PR)

Countdown to My Next Event = 34 Days
San Diego Half Marathon
San Diego, Ca.
March 10, 2013







Countdown to the Orange County Marathon = 90 Days
 




Stumble Upon Toolbar submit to reddit

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails